1/34 scale Majorette 1957 Chevy Part 2: Planning & Mocking-Up
Planning and Mocking-up the build
To refresh everyone’s memory, here is the original post on the Majorette 1957 Chevy this project started with:
Vehicle Review (Click for all the details)
I had a friend paint the metal body and doors, red and white.
Yes the vent windows should be part of the doors but sadly are not in this model 😥
I had originally thought this was going to be a VERY quick build. The initial intent was to either just paint the interior in the correct colors or just leave it all red with the primary focus being on detailing the outside....
That was until I took a closer look at the stock interior:
The dash isn't even remotely the correct shape.
Not much leg room in the back, but a generously sized rear parcel shelf
I thought that this model deserved a bit better interior than this model originally came with. I went digging through my various '57 Chevy models in similar scales that I had duplicates of and settled on this 1:32 scale National Motor Mint Museum as the donor since the scale was VERY close.
Sorry the dashboard is not shown in this shot. Also, note the seats are actually pleated like on the convertible.
Here is an article I did a while back that shows the convertible and coupe version of the National Motor Museum cars in detail.
Let's explore these two 57 Chevy models in detail
Comparison Pics 1:32 vs 1:34 scale
Top is the National Motor Mint car and bottom is the Majorette
Here you can see the overall length difference between the two
I drew centerlines in so you can see the difference in wheelbases between the two cars. It is very significant.
This picture is a bit deceiving because the front wheels on the Majorette are actually a bit too far rearward.
To Cut or Not to Cut, That is the Question!
The National Motor Museum car has front wheels that turn and the wheels themselves are far superior in detail to the Majorette model. Considering both of these factors, plus the interior was molded to fit the chassis, I made the executive decision to not only use the interior but also the chassis of the National Motor Museum model. So the answer is we CUT!
Definitely not the cleanest cut I've ever made 😏
After cutting the chassis, I had to cut down other interior parts so they fit into the Majorette body.
Top is the Majorette chassis and the bottom is the National Motor Museum chassis that had been cut
From the side profile pictures it is clear that the front wheels on the Majorette chassis are too far rearward. I was able to fix this now that I am using the National Motor Museum chassis. I have the flexibility to relocate the center of the wheels wherever I need them to be. The National Motor Museum wheels are a tad too large but I think this actually looks better.
I had to cut down the front and rear door panels to fit.
Here is the cut down door panel inside the Majorette body. Note, my painter must not have stripped the black paint and applied primer right over top. That is why you are seeing large black spots appearing 😥
All 4 body panels taped in place. Note the mounting tower located at the base of the windshield had to be cut off.
Mind the Gaps
I didn't realize that I would need to make a rear parcel shelf. Otherwise, there is a humongous void behind the rear seats
Now there is a HUGE gap behind the rear seats
Here is the underside of the chassis and body
And that's a wrap....
Here is the mocked-up car. It did appear to be sitting a little high but this was addressed later.
All the parts laid out
I don't know why it has taken me so long to write this article, everything here was done in one or two nights and this was one of the first projects I completed after COVID struck!
Thank you for reading.