240Z suspension modifications - part 1 of many

2y ago


I've been doing some suspension work recently, to get some bits back in the car and in the process, clear off the work bench. Disks, hubs, bearings, lower struts, and calipers for both ends of the car spread out a lot when they are all separated. So to start the reassembly process, I needed to perform a modification to the lower strut that I had been putting off; not that every modification remaining to do to the car doesn't fall into that category at this point.

Front strut is on the left; see no adjuster (because it's on the bottom). Rear struts have a standard configuration with the adjusters on the top.

The coilover setup we use has an inverted mono-tube damper for the front, which when modifying old struts that have the knuckle on the bottom means you end up with the problem of your adjuster knob being inside the tube. This proved to be a massive pain in ass for tweaking the suspension setup on the red 240Z we built (pictured a few posts back) so for the 240Z-G I did some research on the best way to address this.

The trick to making easy adjustments is to use shock adjust extensions, which is basically a cable that is secured to the standard adjuster with an allen screw in a cap that fits over the top. It sounds a bit crazy, but talking to people in the suspension know, it's fine to drill a hole in the side of the strut to route the cable through and it doesn't affect the strength of the strut at all. Some coilovers have large windows cut in the side of the strut big enough to get your finds inside to access the adjuster without even using an extension.

The next consideration when making this modification, is to get the hole low enough in the strut so the metal cable can make a gentle radius inside and have enough room to wind the shock down in the strut to get your optimal strut length.

The cable can't do a 90 degree turn inside the space of the strut either, so drilling the hole on a 45 degree angle down helped this a lot. You will need to make sure your pilot holes are drilled as close to this angle as you can, as in the case of the 240Z the bottom is very thick and just levering the drill up and down won't get the desired result. My hole was close but I did snap a 10mm drill bit trying to relieve the hole a bit more on the first one finding the right angle. So we finally get to the end product of adjustable shocks again! I really like the size of the damper in a McPherson strut setup like the zed and with a small amount of work you can have the best of both worlds!