ASTON MARTIN AMR1: THE ASTON MARTIN OF THE GROUP C
In 1989 Aston Martin returned to the World Sportscar Championship
It was 1959 when Aston Martin retired from the World Sportscar Championship after winning the world champion title with victories at the 1000 Nurburgring, the 24 hours of Le Mans and the Tourist Trophy.
Exactly 30 years later, the British team, newly acquired by Ford, returned to the races with a new Group C car called AMR1 designed by Max Bostrom and Ray Mallock.
Based on a monocoque frame in carbon fibre and Kevlar, the car equipped a 6.3 32V V8 engine driven by a five-speed manual transmission combined with rear-wheel drive.
With a delivery power of 700 hp, the engine reached the maximum speed of 350 km / h at the AMR1.
Compared to the other cars, the AMR1 used particularly advanced aerodynamic solutions such as the open front wheel arches (that allowed the efficient extraction of the airflow in the front part of the car bottom), the rounded sides, the larger Venturi channels and a particular exhaust system placed directly on the diffuser to accelerate the underlying airflow.
The 6.3 32V V8 engine
Taken into the race in seven out of nine races, the car never got a podium and was withdrawn at the end of the season as Ford decided to concentrate investments on the Jaguar team.
Thank you to Valentina Zanola and Alessandro Renesis for the cooperation