Audi brings us on a travel trough space and time at the Techno Classica
Time travel can be taken for granted at every stage of the Techno Classica, but Audi adds the notion of space to plan.
This post is part of a series of reports on the Techno Classica, a prominent classic car show that just closed its gates last Sunday. For more info, visit the general post:
Time travel can be taken for granted at every stage of the Techno Classica, but Audi adds the notion of space to plan. Under the working title "Space Miracle – from the Schnellaster to the Avant" Audi was celebrating 70 years since the Ingolstadt plant was founded following the fall of Auto Union’s establishments in the east and a new West-German Audi was created.
At the end of the Second World War, Auto Union’s resources were expropriated by the Soviet Union. Nevertheless, the company was re-established in 1949 in a former military compound in the Upper-Bavarian city of Ingolstadt to lay the foundations to what is Audi today. The first products from 1949 were the DKW Schnellaster and the DKW RT 125 W motorcycle, exhibited in Essen.
The DKW Schnellaster F89 L was the first automobile ever to be produced in Ingolstadt. The cabover-engine layout proved to be competitive with different body versions, ranging from platform or panel vans to livestock transporters, despite its pre-war technology with front-wheel drive and a twocylinder, two-stroke engine. The new DKW RT 125 W motorcycle was identical to the pre-war model with its trapezoidal forks, rubber-band springs, two-stroke engine delivering 4.75 hp, but it made an important contribution to consolidate Auto Union.
Another child of the post-war period was the DKW Meisterklasse Universal, F89 S model from 1951. For reasons technical feasibility, DKW was the only one to be brought back to life with its simple and robust twostroke engines. The first DKW passenger car from the post-war period was a combination of DKW F 8 technology from 1939 and the streamline bodywork of the three-cylinder DKW F 9 initially planned for 1940. This composition was also the reason why the vehicle bears the designation DKW F 89. Worth noting that a similar car was also produced in East Germany, the IFA F9 was also based on DKW designs, but communist management methods quickly eroded the engineering competence. I recommend to have a look at the brilliant PS Speicher museum, that illustrates these east-west parallel developments.
Besides the Audi 80 Variant from 1967 and a 1978 Audi 100 Avant GLS Audi showcased two exotic vehicles. The blue DKW Imosa F 1000 D was a small van of which more than 110,000 units were built in Spain between 1960 and 1975.
The Audi Foxwagon on the other hand was only available in the USA. The exhibited vehicle from 1978 is based on the first Audi 80 With body components of the VW Passat.