Brad Pitt's timepiece in Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

One of the coolest, if not the coolest, Citizen ever?

I'm not the biggest fan of his movies in general but I have to say I really liked Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Typical Tarantino style right there, with nothing much happening for the first 2 and a bit hours and then it's a bloodbath.

One of the most compelling characters in the film, the impossibly cool stuntman Cliff Booth portrayed by Brad Pitt, also happens to be wearing one of the most compelling watches to be featured in a Hollywood blockbuster in a very long time.

The watch in question is the Citizen 8110 Bullhead, one of the lesser known iterations of the 8110, which in turn is one of the lesser known models made by Japanese maker Citizen. This automatic chronograph comes in with a 38 mm gold case with matching dial, paired with a 1970-esque Bund strap and, as you'd expect, the price has pretty much doubled overnight when the movie was released.

The good news is this is a Citizen, and the watch didn't play any specific role in the film, which means that even though it's expensive, it is still relatively affordable. That aren't that many available, and it's hard to find one with the exact spec and in decent condition, but they can still be bought for under £1,000.

If you can't be bothered to look for a decent example of the Citizen, you can buy a nice homage version made by a company called Detroit Mint. The case is slightly bigger, you're going to have to buy the Bund-style strap because it's not included with the watch and the movement is a (Citizen) quartz, but on the upside availability is not an issue and it is obviously a lot cheaper, coming in with a price tag of $225.00 on their website.

What's the coolest movie watch of all time?

Join In

Comments (17)

  • is Brad Pitt's watch the coolest Citizen model ever? @tribe

      1 year ago
  • i mean there's a reason he's called Brad the sexiest Pitt

      1 year ago
  • Yeah, it’s nice. I wish they made more 38s these days.

      1 year ago
  • My favourite is 007s Live and Let Die – Rolex Submariner

    I mean who doesn’t want a watch that can undress a lady with a cool magnetic zip puller

      1 year ago
  • What do you mean nothing much happens for the first 2 hours? It’s a brilliant exploratory dive into the changing roles of Hollywood as it enters the ‘70s and the struggle of an actor to stay on top form. We see DiCaprio at his best.

      1 year ago
    • I agree. It was a figure of speech / exaggeration for the sake of prose to describe how the movie goes from 0 to 100 in terms of violence depicted on screen. The first 90 % of the movie is a story, the other 10 % is Tarantino's flagship trait : bloody...

      Read more
        1 year ago
    • It’s very art house, but quite Quentin until it suddenly becomes exceptionally Tarantino and someone is on fire and another person is being mauled by a dog

        1 year ago