Founded in 1930, the European Hill Climb Championship is the most prestigious European championship of competitions on mountain circuits that has seen renowned cars and drivers compete over time.
After the end of the Second World War, the championship had long been dominated by Porsche, but Ferrari managed to establish itself in 1962 thanks to the 192 SP driven by Ludovico Scarfiotti.
The advent of the 718 WRS in 1963 and the 904 in 1964, however, put the cars of the Scuderia Ferrari in crisis, which decided to build something innovative for the 1965 season.
It was the Dino 206 SP, for which construction the project of the Dino 166 P entered in the World Sportscar Champioship was reused.
Based on a tubular steel frame, the car was equipped with a 218 hp Dino V6 2.0 engine powered by three Weber 40DCN / 2 carburettors, managed by a five-speed manual gearbox and combined with rear wheel drive.
The suspensions were independent, with transverse quadrilaterals, coil springs, telescopic shock absorbers and stabilizer bar while the braking system was represented by four disc brakes.
Once again entrusted to Scarfiotti, the 206 SP proved to be extremely performance enough to conquer four races and the championship reserved for sports cars.
From the car came the next 206 S, which failed to replicate the successes achieved in the 1965 season despite the validity of the project.
Thank you to Valentina Zanola and Alessandro Renesis fot the cooperation