70s street custom-style Hot Wheels '57 Porsche 356A Outlaw.
Starting point of project. I don't like the Gulf Oil racing colors on anything but GT40s or 917s, so the factory paint had to go.
One thing about my custom diecast, is that my builds represent no one genre of car culture. From stock church vans, to gassers, to circle/oval trackers, to monster trucks, to Hollywood cars and Nashville music video cars, to the transportation of serial killers and other notorious criminals (and occasionally even their victims), and most anything else. 70s-era street customs are a favorite, and I decided to build one off of a Porsche 356 "outlaw" after finding one on the pegs at Target. Doing this with a real 356 would be incredibly sacrilegious, while doing it with a fiberglass kit on a shortened VW bug or Karmann Ghia pan would be considered tacky &/or the domain of "Trailer Trash Tammy"/"Here Comes Honey Boo Boo"/"XFL" fans, and rightfully assumed to be done under the influence of "Natty Daddy", "Steel Reserve 211", "Richards Wild Irish Rose", "Baron Rothschild Vodka", or some other cheap, foul, nasty, heavily intoxicating, fusel oil-reeking plonk sold cheap in oversize bottles or 30-packs in the least reputable of retail outlets.
Soon enough I had the casting drilled out, taken completely apart, swapped to M2 wide-five custom wheels, the exposed fuel filler cut out of the interior, most of the paint sanded off to facilitate easy stripping, and it was test-fitted back together for these photos.
The body went quickly into a spray-on paint stripper bath, and I forgot to get bare-metal photos of the body. Meanwhile, I surface prepped the ZAMAC, and prepared a small gob of JB Weld SteelStik putty that was inserted from underneath, extruded through the gas filler hole in the decklid, and squashed against the top of the decklid where it was left to dry. I filed/sanded the gob of JB Weld putty after 6 hours' drying time, and sprayed the body in Tamiya Color "Metallic Red", which is a close match to factory Ruby Red.
The interior was sprayed in Tamiya Color "Dull Red", the dash & steering wheel detailed, and the seats & door cards painted in a dark saddle tone.
I swapped out the wheels for a chrome set of the same style, thoroughly detailed the body, fully reassembled the diecast, and topped off the finished build with four handmade 70s-style VW/Porsche nerf bars that started life as worn-out mainline Hot Wheels/Matchbox wire axles cut & bent to shape and glued in. This ended up being one of my best custom builds to date.