Formula 1 teams unite on recent FIA personnel's resignation controversy
The news came ahead of the Malaysia weekend and the teams have taken up a stand against it.
FIA announced the resignation of Marcin Budkowski from its organisation ahead of the Malaysian Grand Prix, sending a note to teams to not share anymore of its details with him.
Budkowski has been given a three-months gardening leave, and is speculated hugely to join a competitive Formula 1 team - with rumours pointing towards Renault.
This has led the rivals teams to put forward a unified stance, since Budkowski in his role has had an access to 'privilege' technical information of all the teams, especially of its future projects.
The F1 Strategy Group had a meeting earlier on Friday discussing the course of action to be taken with the FIA in the future meeting. Red Bull Racing's Christian Horner said he has a 'major issue' with the prospective joining.
"We take major issue with that if he does end up with another team," he said. "Obviously in these individuals you place an enormous amount of trust.
"In the role that Marcin has been responsible for he has been in an extremely privileged position and extremely recently he has been in people’s wind tunnels and looking at intimate details of knowledge of next year’s cars and I think three months’ notice period for him to then turn up in a competitor team in Formula One is entirely inappropriate.
"I certainly hope that isn’t the case and I’m sure it will get discussed quite seriously at the next strategy group meeting. It’s an important and vital role and it’s vital that the teams have trust and faith in the governing body that they can discuss their technical know-how, their technical secrets in many respects, which cost millions and millions of pounds, in confidence that that information doesn’t have the ability to end up in a rival team."
Haas' Guenther Steiner didn't want to speculate on where Budkowski is going, but he believes the fault of moving so soon lies with the person himself and also the team taking him in.
Mercedes' Toto Wolff, meanwhile, feels the need for transparency regarding the transfer period, since the person has played a crucial role within FIA and has access to a lot secrets of the teams.
"I don’t think it’s correct because he’s had access to a lot of information, especially from Mercedes so he will tell everybody else, so I think for sure they are not happy," he said.
"I personally get on well with Marcin and we wish him success for his career, that is clear, but we need to look at the timings.
"We need to be transparent with the FIA and give them access and therefore, in order to have the full trust of the teams, it’s important to have a certain stability and understanding how quick somebody can leave the FIA and join another competitive team."
The team officials feel for at least a year between two jobs considering the seriousness of work it involved. "I think industry standard for the type of role that Marcin has been performing would be anywhere between 12 and 18 months," said Horner.
"We would look to place senior personnel within our team on at least 12 months." Sauber's Frederic Vassuer agreed with Horner in stating three months is too short for such job.
Force India's Otmar Sazfnauer feels the gap should be enough to allow for the current cars to change as much, so as not to give any advantage when the person joins the respective team.
"It has to be long enough such that the technology that he is aware of becomes, if not obsolete, then not leading edge," he said. "There are some sporting regulations as well that prohibit us from selling current-year cars for exactly the same reason.
"The cars have to be at least one year before we can dispose of them and it’s for that reason and I think notice periods should follow along the same lines."