Formula E Announces Return; Will Decide Championship in Berlin
Three double-headers on multiple track layouts to be held in quick succession
The ABB FIA Formula E Series will resume racing in August and will hold six races in nine days to wrap up the 2019/20 ABB FIA Formula E Championship.
There will be three doubleheader weekends on August 5/6, 8/9 and 12/13 held at different configurations at the Tempelhof Airport in Berlin. Each pair of races will use a different track configuration.
In a statement Formula E and the FIA said they have been working in close consultation with teams and local authorities to develop a plan to conclude the championship in a safe manner. To minimize risk, Formula E is implementing strict safety measures including racing behind closed doors with only essential staff and competitors traveling to the event.
Per German government guidelines, there will be a maximum number of 1,000 people on site at any given time, including local suppliers and medical crews. All other operations will be carried out remotely. Like most major sports, Formula E suspended operations in March after the series had already completed five races.
Key health and safety protocols include mandatory coronavirus testing prior to the races, as well as on-site screening every day upon arrival at the track. Formula E will also actively enforce the use of face masks, social distancing and limit movement across workspaces with clearly defined zones for different event populations.
“Since taking action to suspend our season in March, we have emphasized a revised calendar which places the health and safety of our community first, represents Formula E’s distinct brand of city center racing and offers an exciting conclusion to the compelling season of racing we had seen so far,” said Jamie Reigle, Chief Executive Officer of Formula E. “We’re heading to Berlin Tempelhof, a venue that our teams, drivers and fans love, to stage a nine-day festival of racing with three back-to-back double-headers. The festival will feature three track layouts, presenting a new challenge and creating the conditions for an unpredictable and drama-filled climax to our season. The team at Formula E has been working incredibly hard over the past weeks to enable us to go racing again in Berlin. I’d like to thank the FIA, our manufacturers, teams and partners for their continued support, the city of Berlin for their cooperation and flexibility and our fans for their patience.”
Prior to the suspension, DS TECHEETAH driver Antonio Felix da Costa (PRT) led the standings, but only 11 points ahead of nearest rival Panasonic Jaguar Racing’s Mitch Evans.
The three double-headers in Berlin will complete Formula E’s revised season 6 calendar, taking the total number of rounds to 11.