Hamilton dig at Formula E backfires as F1 champion is mocked in social media
Lewis Hamilton attempted to “keep an eye” on Formula E this weekend but he ended up being roundly mocked on social media instead.
In a post published on Instagram during last weekend’s HKT Hong Kong E-Prix, the Formula One world champion called on governing body FIA to ban Formula E’s Nico Prost for some “disgraceful driving” that resulted in a horror crash for Nick Heidfeld.
Hamilton said he was “disgusted”, but seemingly did not realise the accompanying video of the incident he posted was actually from the inaugural Formula E race in Beijing, three years ago – rather than Saturday’s season four opener in Hong Kong.
After causing a social media backlash, Hamilton deleted the post but former F1 driver Heidfeld, now racing with Mahindra in Formula E, posted his own light-hearted response on Twitter.
Heidfeld, who scored podium finishes with Williams and BMW Sauber in F1, thanked Hamilton and assured him he landed safely after his car was flung into the air by Prost in 2014.
“Hi Lewis, thanks first of all for your concern, and I’ve just landed safely,” said Heidfeld in a video posted at an airport.
“Although it felt like it was forever, the landing after the crash in Beijing was three years ago. Now I’ve just come from my first race in Hong Kong.
“I can assure you since then I’ve had many races with Nico, nearly without any problems.”
Renault e.dams driver Prost, son of four-time F1 champion Alain Prost who is senior manager with the Formula E team, was given a grid penalty for the incident and apologised.
German Heidfeld finished third in Saturday’s Hong Kong race but could only manage a 16th-placed finish in Sunday’s second part of the double header, leaving him fifth in the overall standings.
source: South China Morning Post