IndyCar, Indy500 on for now as pandemic situation being monitored
A joint statement from IndyCar and Indianapolis Motor Speedway says that the GMR Grand Prix and Indy500 races are on but situation being monitored.
After the latest note from CDC which has said a gathering of more than 50 people won't be allowed for the next eight weeks, IndyCar and IMS released a joint statement Monday morning stating that both the races are still on for now.
The note says that they are aware of the CDC guideline but so far they are pressing ahead with both GMR Grand Prix and Indy500 races but at the same time, they are monitoring the ever-changing situation due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
IndyCar already has suspended racing events until the end of April with four races cancelled which includes 2020 season-opener at St. Petersburg. The refund scenario of Round 1 and the Long Beach race has angered fans as both have halted the process.
Here's the full statement from IndyCar and IMS:
"We are aware of the CDC’s interim guidance suggesting the postponement of events involving more than 50 people over the next eight weeks. Our priority is to do our part in protecting the public health while still conducting the 104th Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge as scheduled on May 24.
"This continues to be a dynamic situation which we are monitoring constantly in coordination with federal, state, local and public health officials. We are planning for all contingencies and will be prepared to run the GMR Grand Prix and Indy 500 as the COVID-19 situation permits."
[Image courtesy: IndyCar] [Note: This story was also written by me on FormulaRapida.net]