Name These 20 "Car Songs" by Their Lyrics
Car culture took over the craft of popular songwriting long ago. Can you guess these "hot rod" and "car song" lyrics.
It's summer and many of us are missing our road trips this year. Fortunately, there are are decades of car-centric lyrics in popular music in which we can fill our music lists.
Some of these songs' lyrics are practically stored in our memory, and some of them are a little more obscure and sometimes unrecognizable without the song's signature sound.
To see how well we know our car songs and hot rod tunes, here's a list of 20 lyrics samples that may or may not ring a bell.
Scroll down if you want the answers, but before then no peeking:
1. The street was deserted late Friday night / We were buggin' each other while we sat out the light / We both popped the clutch when the light turned green / You shoulda heard the whine from my screamin' machine!
2. ...Where the image breaks down / Will you visit me please / If I open my door...
3. Oh, we got some places to see / I brought all the maps with me / So jump right in, it ain't no sin / Take a ride in my machine
4. (Comin') off the line when the light turns green / Well she blows 'em outta the water like you never seen / I get pushed out of shape and it's hard to steer / When I get rubber in all four gears
5. Believe it or not / I started to worry / I wondered if I had enough class / But it was Saturday night / I guess that makes it all right / And you say, "Baby, have you got enough gas?"
6. I remember when we were driving, driving in your car / The speed so fast I felt like I was drunk / City lights lay out before us / And your arm felt nice wrapped 'round my shoulder
7. I bought you a brand new mustang 'bout nineteen sixty five / Now you come around signifying a woman, you don't want to let me ride
8. V8 engine with the fuel injection / 283, that's my ounce of perfection / Get that rod out when it's very late / Haven't got a round to getting license plates
9. She hopped right up into the cab of my truck and said / "Fire it up, let's go get this thing stuck"
10. For a Rambler to pass a Caddy would be a big disgrace. / For the guy who wanted to pass me / He kept on tooting his horn / I'll show him that a Cadillac is not a car to scorn.
11. There ain't no load that I can't hold / A road so rough this I know / I'll be there when the light comes in / Tell 'em we're survivors
12. With a 4-barrel carb and a dual exhaust / With 4.11 gears you can really get lost / It's got safety tubes, but I ain't scared / The brakes are good, tires fair
13. The first day I got me a fuel pump / And the next day I got me an engine and a trunk / Then I got me a transmission and all the chrome
14. When the flag went down you could hear rubber burn / The Stingray had me going into the turn / I hung a big shift and I got into high / And when I flew by the Stingray I waved bye-bye
15. I told a girl I can start right away / And she said, "listen, babe, I got something to say / I got no car and it's breaking my heart / But I've found a driver and that's a start
16. One foot on the brake and one on the gas / Well, there's too much traffic, I can't pass, no / So I tried my best illegal move
17. Cop's on the corner, look he's starting to write / Well, I don't need no ticket so I screamed out of sight / Drove so fast that my eyes can't see / Look in the mirror, is he still following me?
18. Low rider knows every street/ Low rider is the one to meet/ Low rider don't use no gas no / The low rider don't drive too fast
19. Well those cars never seem to stop coming / Keep those waxin' machines humming / My fingers to the bone / Keep up, I can't wait till it's time to go home
20. No more speed, I'm almost there / How well did you do? Are your driving in the right direction or way off the path? Take at look at these answers and find out. / Gotta keep cool now, gotta take care / Last car to pass, here I go / And the line of cars drove down real slow
1. Dead Man's Curve (Jan and Dean)
2. Gary Newman (Cars)
3. Freeway of Love (Aretha Franklin)
4. Little Deuce Coupe (Beach Boys)
5. Little Red Corvette (Prince)
6. Fast Car (Tracy Chapman)
7. Mustang Sally (Wilson Pickett)
8. Built for Speed (Stray Cats)
9. Cruise (Florida Georgia Line)
10. Beep Beep (The Playmates)
11. Life is A Highway (Tom Cochrane)
12. Hot Rod Lincoln (Commander Cody)
13. One Piece at a Time (Johnny Cash)
14. Hey Little Cobra (The Rip Chords)
15. Drive My Car (The Beatles)
16. I Can't Drive 55 (Sammy Hagar)
17. Roll On Down The Highway (BTO)
18. Low Rider (War)
19. Car Wash (Rose Royce)
20. Radar Love (Golden Earring)