Peugeot 106 Rallye
Having sat in a barn for over two years...
Some of you might recognise this as Richard Meaden's Peugeot 106 Rallye? A couple of years ago after a long period of being driven on various group tests and commuting to and from the office it was popped into a barn whilst diggers were working on their house build.
One thing led to another and the 106 remained there until this week. Rich contacted me a few weeks ago with the prospect of a challenge. Not one to shy away from such an offer I jumped at the chance.
Mind you there was an added bonus. Given that Christmas is upon us it made sense to pair up the visit with a tipple and grub courtesy of Emma, fantastic Chilli I must say! Knowing the 106 was going to take two days I had the relaxing knowledge that the booze could flow freely as a very welcoming spare bedroom awaited after day one.
There's always the worry when greeted by so much poo that the surface would undoubtably be etched? The general grime isn't really a concern and to be honest the dirt removal is the easy bit. First I simply pressure washed the whole car with plain water. This would loosen up the grime and would minimise product wastage when it came to using the Traffic Film Remover.
Concept TFR soaking in...
As some will know for the last 11 years I've worked at Goodwood FoS on behalf of Porsche cleaning all the Cayenne's that get ragged round a soaking wet muddy field. I chose to dig out the stronger TFR from Concept. Unlike with the more delicate 'Detailing' work I do normally product safety wasn't really an issue. This TFR although watered down is very effective at removing grime but detrimental to whatever might be protecting the cars paintwork if used regularly.
Working at Goodwood Festival of Speed for Porsche.
So once the TFR had eaten its way through most of the grime I pressure washed the whole car once again and gave it a good wash with Kenotek shampoo. A quick rinse and a fresh bucket of Kenotek was prepared for the claying process. Don't be fooled into thinking a dedicated Clay lube is always required, a fresh bucket of soapy water can act as a perfectly good lube most of the time.
Claying with 3M Blue Clay.
Now free of crap and silky smooth it was down to the nitty gritty. The bird poo had indeed etched its way into the clear coat, deep in places so after a paint depth inspection I made no hesitation in going straight for 3M Fast Cut Plus XL as my cutting paste. This is a very versatile paste and can be as aggressive or delicate as you choose it to be depending on the pad used and the speed/pressure you use it with.
3M Fast cut plus XL followed by Scholls and Menzerna Final Finish.
Providing the paint depth permitted, I was able to be very aggressive over some of the deeper etched areas and managed to remove all of it.
Before offering the paint any protection I started on the interior. To be honest I won't fool you into thinking this was hard. It remained pretty unscathed other than a bit of mould on the fabric and switches.
A thorough wash down inside with Xpert-60 interior fabric cleaner and Kenotek plastic cleaner was all the interior really needed.
With the interior complete and exterior machined all that was left was the glass, door shuts and waxing.
A thoroughly enjoyable two days it was too. Not only did I get huge satisfaction by transforming the little Rallye but also got to share some lovely grub, beers and wine but most of all some valuable and long awaited time with Rich and Emma Meaden to whom I owe so much.