Peugeot VLV - a French EV built during WWII
Peugeot decided to build the VLV because during World War II petrol was, much like everything else, in short supply. The occupying German armed forces were imposing fuel restrictions chiefly because it was needed elsewhere for military purposes .
The VLV, which stands for Voiture Légère de Ville (light city car), was introduced by the French carmaker in the Spring of 1941 to get around this problem. It was a tiny electric convertible, It looks like a 3-wheeler because it was built with twin wheels on the rear axle, powered by four 12V batteries with a range of around 40-50 miles, a combined power output of just 1.5 bhp and a top speed of just 18 mph. So it was a little down on power but then again it was also very small. The VLV was 2.67 m in length, 1.21 in width and it only weighed 348 kg.
Production was halted after just two years and only 377 units were ever built and most live in museums. As ever, desperate times call for desperate measures and breed ingenuity. The VLV may not be the best car in the world, but it certainly is an interesting car with a compelling story.