Quiz: How good are your mechanical skills?
Here are some common jobs you might have to carry out on your car. But do you know how to do them? Only one of the suggested methods is correct. Let's see how you get on.
How do you change a wheel?
- Loosen wheel nuts, jack car up, unscrew nuts, remove wheel, replace wheel, finger-tighten bolts, lower car, tighten nuts
- Jack car up, unscrew wheel nuts, remove wheel, replace wheel, lower car, tighten nuts
- Unscrew wheel nuts, jack car up, remove wheel, replace wheel, lower car, replace nuts
What's the best way to check your oil?
- Remove dipstick, wipe, replace, remove, check oil level on markings, top up oil if necessary
- Top up oil, remove dipstick, ensure oil is above markings, replace
- Remove dipstick, check oil level on markings, replace, top up oil if necessary
What's the best way to check your tyre pressures?
- When the tyres are cold, with a proper pressure gauge, and inflate them to manufacturer recommended pressures
- Warm the tyres, use a proper pressure gauge, inflate them to manufacturer recommended pressures
- Tyre temperature doesn't matter, just give the sidewall a squeeze and make sure it feels firm
What are the essential tools you should keep in your car (according to UK motoring association The AA)?
- A jack, wheel-removal tools and a locking wheel nut key (if you need one). Jump leads, fuel can and torch are useful too
- A hammer, crowbar, rubber mallet, hi-vis vest and a flare gun
- A full fuel can, electric screwdriver and a hacksaw
What do you need to regularly check to ensure your power steering works correctly?
- The hydraulic fluid reservoir
- The power steering regulator
- The steering wheel battery