Rear Fin Sticker on Shinsei 1957 Chevy
Click for a how to guide.
This post is going to describe how I used a Circut Machine to remake the old faded stickers that go on the rear fins on my Shinsei 57 Chevy from these previous articles:
At first, my plan was to scan these stickers into the computer and clean them up. Unfortunately, I’m just not that talented or have the patients for Photoshop. So I decided to go another route of actually recreating them.
I took some silver ‘party foil’ from Cricut and taped the original sticker to it to use as a pattern. My scan was not clean enough for the Cricut to use as a pattern to cut and I did not have the patients to manually clean it up digitally.
A silver silhouette I cutout compared with the original sticker below
The White Stripes
I then measured and cut out very thin white strips, just like in the original sticker, making sure to space them out exactly as the original sticker:
Here is a close up of the Circut cutting out the stripes from white self adhesive vinyl
Here I am pulling off the ‘negative’ or unwanted portion. The scrapbooking crowd call it ‘weeding’. This is important because I want to keep the spacing between each white stripe.
Weeding! Someone has to do it!
I used transfer tape to transfer the stripes from the backing above to my work piece.
This is the no adhesive side
Here is the adhesive side of the transfer tape
Then I simply trimmed the white stripes to the edge of the silver foil. If I had managed to get the profile of the sticker cleaned up on the computer I would not have had to do this step as I could have done it digitally very easily.
The white stripes applied!!
The Emblems and Bel Air Script
For your reference here is the emblem from my 1:1 car
I had to decide which Chevrolet Shield looked the best from the options I cutout. Note, the original sticker just has a solid silhouette, but I knew I could do better! I decided on a very simplified, one up from the bottom. I made these by uploading a picture of the real emblem into the Cricut and then removing the negative space. You can see at the bottom, I got a little carried away.
All the different variations I tried to cut out
Here are all the pieces cut out, except I had already put the white over the grey for the shield
Here is the Bel-Air script and shield, grey shadow, and white layer just for the shield.
Close up of the gold and grey/white cut outs
Here is a close up of all the layers stacked on top of one another. Again I used transfer tape to keep the spacing between the shield and the Bel-Air script.
Assembly of the shield (3 layers-grey, white, gold) and Bel Air script
Comparison of the original (top) and my NEW version (bottom)
Here it is glued to the car!
Thank you so much for reading!!