Revealed: The world's most beautiful roads, according to Instagram
Are you surprised by any of these?
Deciding where to go on your next road trip can be a really tricky decision to make. There are so many fantastic roads out there to try out, it makes it hard to know where to go. Thankfully, Pentagon Motor Group has done some research and has found the most popular driving routes in the world, thanks to Instagram.
Pentagon Motor Group analysed over 7 million Instagram hashtags to find the world's most beautiful road trip routes based on Instagram photos per mile and have come up with a list of the 20 great roads across the globe.
Photo by Matt Duncan on Unsplash
The research reveals that Australia's Great Ocean Road is the most beautiful road trip in the world, followed by California's Big Sur, then Jebel Hafeet in the United Arab Emirates. Whereas, the USA is the country with the most picturesque stretches of road; including, Big Sur (2nd), Blue Ridge Parkway (6th), Going-To-The-Sun Road (7th), Route 66 (11th), California's Tioga Pass (14th), and Hana Highway (16th).
Australia's Great Ocean Road came up on top because it is a beautiful stretch of road which covers 157 miles and has accumilated an impressive 1,321,570 hashtagged images of it on Instagram, meaning that nearly 8,418 pictures are taken per mile. Stretching alongside the south-eastern coast of Australia between the cities of Torquay and Allansford, the beautiful route was constructed in 1932 and has continued to be one of the most popular tourist excursions in Australia.
Top 20 most beautiful roadtrips:
1. Great Ocean Road, Australia - 8,418 pictures per mile
2. Big Sur, USA - 5,226 pictures per mile
3. Jebel Hafeet, United Arab Emirates - 4,840 pictures per mile
4. Hai Van Pass, Vietnam - 4,298 pictures per mile
5. Chapman’s Peak Drive, South Africa - 3,425 pictures per mile
6. Blue Ridge Parkway, USA - 1,148 pictures per mile
7. Going-To-The-Sun Road, USA - 940 pictures per mile
8. Wild Atlantic Way, Ireland - 853 pictures per mile
9. Olympic Peninsula Loop, USA - 798 pictures per mile
10. Icefields Parkway, Canada - 781 pictures per mile
11. Route 66, USA - 780 pictures per mile
12. Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, Austria - 677 pictures per mile
13. Pacific Highway, Australia - 657 pictures per mile
14. Tioga Pass, USA - 533 pictures per mile
15. Military Road, UK - 483 pictures per mile
16. Cabot Trail, Canada - 466 pictures per mile
17. Hana Highway, USA - 345 pictures per mile
18. The Atlantic Road, Norway - 294 pictures per mile
19. Causeway Coastal Route, Northern Ireland - 244 pictures per mile
20. North Coast 500, Scotland - 226 pictures per mile
Photo by Diego Jimenez on Unsplash
With all these road trips listed above, it looks as though none of us will be stuck on where to go away this summer. For a lot of us, it looks like staying at home will be the case again this summer, so why not check out your local road trip location and post it on DriveTribe to share it amongst the community?