Rossi set to miss Aragon MotoGP race after testing COVID-19 positive
The Italian is not in Aragon already as he fell unwell while at home.
Valentino Rossi has tested positive for COVID-19 after feeling unwell on Thursday morning and as a result, he is set to miss the Aragon MotoGP weekend.
After Moto2's Jorge Martin's COVID-19 positive result from last month, the MotoGP side now has a positive case as well, with Yamaha's Rossi going down after feeling unwell at his home in Tavullia, where he has been ever since the Le Mans race.
The Italian showed symptoms of sore body and light fever. He underwent a quick PCR test which came negative like the one he did on Tuesday. However, the second and more sophisticated test result came back as positive on Thursday evening.
As a result, Rossi will not take part in this weekend's Aragon MotoGP race, while considering the time it takes to get back to normal, he is most likely to miss the second race at the same venue as well, the following weekend.
"Unfortunately, this morning I woke up and I was not feeling good," said Rossi. "My bones were score and I had a slight fever, so I immediately called the doctor who tested me twice. The ‘quick PCR test’ result was negative, just like the test I underwent on Tuesday.
"But the second one, of which the result was sent to me at 16:00 this afternoon, was unfortunately positive. I am so disappointed that I will have to miss the race at Aragon. I’d like to be optimistic and confident, but I expect the second round in Aragon to be a ‘no go’ for me as well.
"I am sad and angry because I did my best to respect the protocol and although the test I had on Tuesday was negative, I self-isolated since my arrival from le Mans. Anyways, this is the way it is, and I can’t do anything to change the situation. I will now follow the medical advice, and I just hope I will be feeling well soon," summed up Rossi.
With the news of him missing the MotoGP race only announced, it is awaited now to see if Yamaha fields a second bike this weekend or not. They can use Jorge Lorenzo, who was scheduled for a wildcard round this year before the COVID-19 pandemic struck.
UPDATE: MotoGP time-lined Rossi's time from Sunday until Thursday as Yamaha's chief Lin Jarvis spoke about testing times for the team, especially after positive case last weekend as well, which sidelined multiple team members from the race team.
"This is very bad news for Valentino and very bad news for the Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP team and for all MotoGP fans around the world. First and foremost we hope Valentino will not suffer too much in the coming days and will recover fully in the shortest time possible," said Jarvis.
"It comes as a second blow for our MotoGP operations having faced the absence of Project Leader Sumi-san and five YMC engineers at the Le Mans race after one member tested positive – despite being fortunately totally asymptomatic. These two incidents remind us that no matter how careful you are, the risk is always present - as we see with the rising numbers of infections in Europe at this time.
"We have checked with the Italian health authorities and we have been advised that any member of our team that was in contact with Valentino up until Monday is excluded from direct risk. Nevertheless, we will be even more attentive from now on to minimise the chance for any future issues."
Here's the full timeline:
On Sunday 11th October, Rossi left the Le Mans circuit and travelled back to his home in Tavullia, Italy.
On Tuesday 13th October, Rossi underwent the usual PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) test, which is compulsory for those who visit their homes in between races. The result was available the next day and it was negative.
On Wednesday 14th October, Rossi was feeling fully fit and he trained at home without any symptoms or inconveniences.
On Thursday 15th October, he woke up in the morning and felt a bit sore. He had a slight fever and immediately called a doctor. The doctor conducted two tests: A ’quick PCR test‘, that again came back with a negative test result. A standard PCR test, of which the result arrived on Thursday 15th October, at 16:00 local time. Unfortunately this result was positive.
During Rossi‘s stay at his home from Sunday night (11th October) to today (15th October), he has NOT been in contact with any person that is currently present at the Gran Premio de Aragon, including VR46 Academy riders, VR46 staff, Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP team members etc.
Rossi's condition will be closely monitored by the medical staff in Tavullia.
The situation will be reviewed every day with a view to Rossi's participation at the upcoming MotoGP race events.
More to come
[Image courtesy: MotoGP] [Note: This story was written on FormulaRapida.net]