Like I said earlier in the article (I SWEAR THEY JUST FOLLOW ME HOME...) my E23 grey market 745i is a continuous never ending project. It has been almost a year and a half since I brought my cigar boat home, as I lovingly call it. I gifted the car to my step-son for his 9th birthday. So naturally progress gets checked by him on ehh monthly basis.
In late Spring, I finally got to replacing the suspension. I was actually able to source a super-ultra-mega-turbo-rare Dinan Springs and a set of Bilstein Sports from one of the E23 gurus (i know you are here and reading this). So those went on the car.
Parallel with this, I was looking for a replacement for the Race-ish rear spoiler, which was never my cup of tea (Racing Dynamics in case you want to know). I did source a Zender rubber spoiler, from what-a-surprise another noted E23 owner. I think you are starting to get the picture of how strong the community is, and yes we love our cars, but it's mostly about the friendships we create. To return the favor of passing a long such a great spoiler find, I traded with my buddy a set of early chrome mirrors. His car deserved the cleaner full chrome set I found earlier in the year. More on those later, they are in a box. The crown jewel!
At this point, I was able to move on with the fuel system. I had the fuel pump carrier converted by a local expert that does these for us - we can talk technical if you want. And I bought my favorite high pressure TRE pump. What unveils next in the story was definitely not planned... no I didn't burn the house to the ground.
The reason I moved to a single pump was, ONE I had experience with this setup in my E28; TWO it was cheaper to build and maintain; THREE the rust tank (i mean the fuel) was the final resting place of Titanic (contrary to popular belief). The situation was beyond use-able. So naturally, after consulting with the oracles of the BMW world, I tackled electrolysis at home.
Yeah, I know what you are thinking. "This is not going to end up good". As a matter of fact it worked out perfectly. I was contemplating throwing the fuel tank into my neighbor’s brand new pool after they destroyed my lawn, and do the electrolysis there but I came to my sense quickly. Luckily Superman came to visit us for a few weeks from Bulgaria (Superman is my mom's husband and my dad). He and I devised a plan on our approach and the results were pleasing. We used the tank as the vessel for the electrolysis rather than submerging into a vessel. The mixture was very important - 5 gallons of water and 1 cup of WASHING SODA.
For the process of ELECTROLYSIS, for anode I used a rebar that I cut to length and made a PVC sleeve for it. The PVC sleeve looked like a swiss cheese, with the bottom end plugged up, so the liquid could interact with the anode but the anode won't touch the tank. The anode was where the + (positive lead) of the battery charger (current source) was attached to, and the - (negative lead) was attached to the tank. Many cycles later, and hundreds of gallons of mixture, the tank was ready to go for a pressure wash and re-coat with a special type of resin for fuel tanks. I also refreshed all the vent lines, and the tank got resprayed in hi-temp flat black. Call it brand new! All done at home.
Next, i finished up my actual fuel pump conversion with the appropriate new hoses, fuel filter, gaskets.
Single Pump Conversion
And the E23 was alive, again! Onto the next project...
More to come folks. As the Holidays approach, I can focus on it!