This was my first ever attempt at scratch-building a model car.
I decided on 1/8 scale as I like working big, and to be honest, it's easier to make bigger bits than little ones!
The body was hand carved in wood and that was used to make a mould for a fibre-glass shell.
Incredibly messy so these days I 'cheat' and get bodies vac-formed from the masters. That way, if there's a total blunder, getting another shell is far simpler.
A lot of cleaning up was next - another reason for not using fibre glass any longer.
INCREDIBLY messy, nasty, eye-watering, skin-irritating, sneezing...
You know the story.
Anyway... Eventually, all was smooth enough to get primer coats - lots of them - before any further work.
The next task was to add floor support strips and then cut a floor panel from 80 though sheet plastic. As always, screwed in place.
The firewall was built up next using lots of card templates.
Once fitted permanently it was detailed with plastic strip and then covered in 'Bare metal foil' - a kind of self adhesive aluminium foil that takes to fiddly shapes really well.
Next was half a dozen coats of old Jaguar racing green.
The cockpit tub was also made from fibre glass in a rough wooden mould. The tunnel covering was made by covering it in dozens of strands of thin cotton string before binding it with lead solder wire and then painting it all silver.
Further detail was added with plastic tube section and the dash was cut from 12mm ply and detailed with home made decals and switches made from hair brush bristles...!
The chassis was made from brass section Araldited together - no, I can't solder...
Really good reference material is imperative here but good old Google images invariably comes up trumps.
Just scale it to your size (1/8 here) and print.
Once primed, painted and fitted, on we go.
For this model, I used many engine parts from the big Revell E Type Jaguar kit.
Alterations were made where required but it was pretty straightforward stuff.
Yes - I couldn't resist adding some home made decals to the body.
Time to get mucky underneath.
The floor and rear sections were all made up using thick sheet plastic - and umpteen card templates.
Aluminium tape from a '£1' shop was used for a better surface effect.
Now - time to jump forwards to engine details and rear end fittings.
All of this depends on really good reference pictures and information.
Most of the detail parts are scratch made from plastic section, scrap bits and old kit parts. Don't ever bin stuff...
These are made from resin cast rims, hubs and centre sections, laced with fishing line.
Yes - fishing line.
Once painted, they look pretty good.
The tyres are resin cast using a proprietary kit tyre as a master.
Keep watching for more...