Well who has not heard of the British Sports Car Manufacturer MG most people know or have heard of MG for making small Sports Cars but what a lot of people do not know is that they also made larger Sports Cars as well....Yes they really.
The MG SA was part of the 1935 Motor Show as a large Sports Saloon which came as quite a shock to some people who where used to the small Sports Cars MG had on offer, the SA was a Luxury Sports Saloon to rival the likes of Jaguar & Alvis but this also caused some falling out between Leonard Lord and Cecil Kimber, Initially Leonard Lord said that he did not want to produce any more MG sports cars as they interfered with his plans to streamline the organisation. However Cecil Kimber still retained a lot of influence and he managed to gain enough support to eventually change Leonard Lord's mind the end of this disagreement was the birth of the MG Two Litre SA Saloon first announced in October 1935.
The MG SA was Based on the Wolseley Super Six using a tuned six cylinder 2062 cc Morris QPHG Engine but enlarged to 2288 cc. The capacity was increased again to 2322 cc in 1937 bringing it into line with the Wolseley 18. This was a tall engine and to allow the bonnet line to be as low as possible the twin SU carburettors had their dashpots mounted horizontally. Drive was to the live rear axle via a four speed manual gearbox with synchromesh on the top two ratios bar a few early models. Wire wheels were fitted and the drum brakes were hydraulically operated using a Lockheed system. A built in Jackall jacking system was fitted to the chassis... Yes now a days MOT Testers sometimes mistake the Jackkall Pipes for Brake Pipes why can't they just trace the route of the Pipes? if you know the answer to this then please drop a comment below.
The saloon body, the only option available at the time of the car's launch and was made in-house by Morris and was a spacious four door, The two door Tickford Drophead coupe by Salmons joined the range in April 1936, July 1936 seen the introduction of the four door Tourer by Charlesworth, however The tourer originally had straight topped doors but these were replaced with front ones with cutaway tops from 1938 and at the same time the spare wheel moved to the front wing.
Total production of the SA was 2739 of which 350 were exported wit Germany proving the best market, Out of the 2739 produced there are approximately 340 known to have survived in the World. At the 1938 London Motor show, alongside an SA there was a new 2.6-litre car, the WA. This was probably designed to be a replacement but both cars ran in parallel until the outbreak of war in 1939 caused production of both to cease. Neither was re-introduced in 1945.