Top 10 cars at Tokyo's coolest car auction
There is a lot of competition for the title of 'world's coolest car auction,' but the Tokyo Auto Salon auction on Jan 11th has just taken the title.
You can forget your RM Sotheby's auction with mint condition Ferrari 250 GTOs, I want a bit more grit, a bit more je ne sais quoi. The Tokyo Auto Salon auction provides all the cool and sex appeal you could ever need.
If I won the lottery, I'd buy a plane ticket straight to the auction and empty my bank account all over the shop. Want proof? Take a gander at the top ten cars from the world's coolest car auction.
10) 1993 Nikko Kyoseki Skyline GT-R – Est. £330k – £477k
Kicking things off with a racing R32, beat that America.
9) 2004 Porsche Carrera GT – Est. £587k – £734k
In at number nine is the iconic Carrera GT, one of two in the auction no less.
8) 1990 Ferrari F40 – Est. £587k – £807k
In at number eight is an absolutely stunning Ferrari F40.
7) 1968 Honda S800 M Coupe – Est. £48k – £62k
I can't remember wanting to own a car more than when I laid my eyes upon this little gem. It's just so damned cute.
6) 2003 Dodge Viper Competition Coupe Formula Drift – Est. £59k – £80k
Just added to the eclectic mix of this auction, you can find a drift competition Viper for crying out loud. If you thought the epic levels had peaked, you are so wrong.
5) 2009 Superformance GT40 Mk 1 – Est. £58k – £88k
Oh hello, it's a bloody BP liveried GT40. Having driven one of these last year, this is a hell of a bargain at £58k estimate.
4) 1985 Ferrari 308 Koenig Specials – Est. £62k – £99k
Not just any Ferrari, it's a Koenig Special. Does it get cooler than a wide-body Ferrari? The answer will be revealed at the number one spot…
3) 2007 Caparo T1 – Est. £161k - £205k
Need a Formula 1 car for the road? The Tokyo auction has you covered. Say hello to the Caparo T1.
2) 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing – Est. £989k – £1.17 million
Possibly the best/worst car on the list, this Gullwing has had the modern makeover and I still can't decide whether I like it or not. I'll whack a poll at the bottom of this article for you to vote.
1) 1987 Ferrari Testarossa Koenig Special – Est. £147k – £220k
The second Koenig on the list, the Testarossa wide-body might just be the coolest car to ever go to auction. With an estimate of £147k –£220k you'd take this over pretty much anything in that price range right?
Did you have a favourite? Post it in the comments.